Thursday 31 October 2013

ENTRY#4 : THE WORLD IS YOUR CLASSROOM


Linguistic interference

This week, I have come to the conclusion that sometimes my French interferes with my English.  My first language is not nor French or English, Serbian is my first language. I learnt to speak French and English at a very young age, but I was learning both languages at the same time which explains how sometimes they can interfere with each other.  I was helping a student with his French homework and I had to explain to him what he had to do in English in order for him to understand his work.  I unfortunately had a little bit of a hard time translating the French to English; I had trouble searching for the right words to use in English in order for the student to understand what I had been trying to define.  I decided to look up the translation of certain words to help me out, and with a little bit of hard thinking I finally got what I needed to put across to the student and he finished his homework successfully!

English learning; Classroom VS Internship

Throughout the couple of days I have passed in my internship I have come to notice that it is easier to learn by being and working in an English environment compare to in a classroom. In my internship I interact a lot with the students and the school staff. In a classroom, we have a teacher explain to us the rules of grammar or the different ways of expressing ourselves whereas in our internships we search for ways to express ourselves and we look for the right words to use on our own. I believe there is nothing better than searching for answers by yourself to be able to remember them and have them etched in our memory.

Vocabulary
                                            
Etched: I heard my internship host say the word etched and was wondering what it meant, it’s an adjective that has the same meaning as engraved, to engrave something or to etch something. I used it as an expression we mostly use in French ‘’ gravé dans la mémoire ‘’ meaning ‘’ engraved in our memory ‘’.

No comments:

Post a Comment