Thursday 28 November 2013

Entry #6 : Breaking it down

 I was introduced to the English language at a very young age and it has been in my life ever since. I interact, write and speak in English on a daily basis. However, my internship has been helping me improve my English language.
                                                        

Listening Comprehension

I have realized that throughout the days of my internship my listening comprehension has improved. In the past days of my internship, I sometimes found it difficult to understand my host and her colleagues when they would use formal language. But as the days went by, I looked up some of the words I didn’t understand and it has been easier for me to understand when they speak to me or between each other.

Examples:  My host has used the words “on the behalf of” and “enquire” which I found out meant from and ask. These two words are words that we use almost every day and now I have learnt that I can enrich them by using the two new words I learnt by looking them up once I heard my host use them.


Accent

My accent was not something I was looking to improve in my internship because I believe my accent and pronunciation in English is fine the way it is now. Therefore, my accent has stayed the same from beginning to end. However, I do sometimes make mistakes pronouncing words because of my second language which is French but I have not noticed any mistakes coming from it during my internship.


Fluency

I do believe that I have became more fluent in English. My vocabulary has became more rich and formal therefore that makes my English more fluent than it used to be.  However, my academic and formal words don’t come as fluenty as the informal and basic words when I speak to someone or have to speak spontaneously. I still need to practice the more formal words to be able to use them on a daily basis. I have a strong vocabulary when I have to write a text, or write a report on something because I have time to think and enrich my vocabulary as I am writing as oppose to when I am interacting with people I don’t have much time to think of the choice of words I am going to use before I speak. I have used strategies such as practice and repetition to help me become more fluent.


Humour

I have not noticed much about English humour in my internship. I have heard some jokes here and there, but they did not catch my attention.

Accuracy


I also believe that I have had the ability to produce correct sentences using correct grammar and vocabulary since the beginning of my internship. My sentences are always grammatically correct in written and spoken dialogues. I don’t have much of a problem with accuracy in the English language.

No comments:

Post a Comment